Friday, October 1, 2010

It's Now or Never and more...

Again, it has been a while. Since the earthquake I have been relishing any 'down time' to relax and try to sleep though the aftershocks, rather than read. But things are settling down now, so I have a couple of books to add to my blog.

Although I really enjoy purchasing books to add to my green bookshelf, I have been enjoying using the local libraries in Christchurch.

A wee while ago I completed It's Now or Never by Carole Matthews, which was a hilarious read! If you like to read the books by such authors as Marian Keyes then you will enjoy this one. It tells a very light and funny story of middle-aged twin sisters, Annie and Lauren, who vow to make changes in their lives so they can lead more fulfilling lifestyles. Annie is married to someone who spend ALL of his time fishing, and Lauren's lover has spent the majority of the last 5 years at home with his wife and children. So...it's time to turn things around!

I finished It's Now or Never the night before Christchurch's big 7.1 earthquake. None of the council libraries were open for a week after the quake, due to safety concerns, so I thought I would have another go at reading the 3 Joanne Harris books which were lent to me a while ago. I began to read Coastlines...and I managed to plough halfway through the book. But, should one have to PLOUGH through a book? I have no doubt that Joanne Harris is a successful and talented author. I just don't like how I feel I am while I am reading, she is hiding something from me? I feel like I am always wondering if I have missed something...

Luckily once the libraries were open I found that Amber by Deborah Challinor was available. I have been wanting to read this sequel since I read Kitty a few months ago. I just wish it would take me more than 2 days to read her books...it is always sad to get to the last page.

Amber carries on the journey of Kitty, now that she is happily married to Captain Rian Farrell and is travelling the seas of the world. The time has come for Kitty and Rian to return to Australia and retrieve Wai's bones to take back home to New Zealand. During this time, however, there is turmoil in the North Island as there is a war between Maori and the English. Rian decides to send Kitty to safety in Auckland. While Kitty is in Auckland she takes in a small mute, orphaned child, Amber.

I am now taking a break from fiction and have started He'll Be OK by Celia Lashlie. Lashlie has dedicated her life and wisdom towards the education of boys. I have heard Lashlie speak several times at teacher conferences, and found her to be inspiring. He'll Be OK is only one of her books...

1 comment:

  1. now or never sounds loke a really good book.Thanks so much for being my follower.Your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete